Tuesday, February 5, 2008

In which Dude learns to draw

I'm jeopardizing my integrity, risking turning myself into a liar. Dude may soon be able to draw.

I've completed 3 sessions of an 8 part intro drawing class. I don't expect to come out of it as Rembrandt, but I do hope that it'll give me the foundation to actually develop drawing as a skill. Perhaps I'll actually then be able to set out to draw something and successfully draw it, rather than randomly doodle until something kinda looks good.

Week 2 was all about "blind contours". Drawing while looking only at the subject, not at the paper, and never lifting the pencil. The result is, understandably, a mess. But it's not about the result, it's about training the eye and mind to outline shapes and connect that to hand movement. The one shown here was my best effort of the day. These were my initial attempts. I got lost in the details and ended up just going over the same spot on the paper. It'd be nice to be able to say that I started there and progressed until I was doing ones like the main image here, but no. It was pretty up and down for the whole class. Just gotta remind myself that it's not about the product (no matter how much "better" the instructor's example was).

These three were a good effort, I thought (even if the one in the middle looks like something from the old Disney cartoon Gargoyles).

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

The one you called a Gargoyle is the one I liked most.

Audra said...

I really love blind contour drawings. And I kinda have a knack for them. They can be gestural or done very, very slowly. So slowly, in fact, the results often appear as though you were actually looking at what you're doing. A style of drawing I really enjoyed was doing a blind contour and then completing the drawing (sometimes realist, sometimes abstract) while looking. Good times. We should plan a drawing day!

Unknown said...

Raw and explorative linework is my favorite - dude CAN draw!