Thursday, February 28, 2008

Absence makes the eye grow fonder

It's one of those things you tell yourself over and over, other people tell you over and over, but it's hard to remember. Sometimes when you feel like everything is coming out wrong, you have to step back for a bit and get a fresh look.

I've been struggling with the latest techniques from my drawing class. It's just not coming together for me. I know it's largely a matter of practice, but it's been frustrating in comparison to everything else I've learned, which seemed to sink in pretty well. In last week's class, we were drawing animals from photos using some specific techniques. It was not going well. I hated everything I was doing.

But last night I pulled my sketch pad out to flip through and came across this giraffe here. It was one of the last things I drew in the class, and when I was done, I was sure it was crap. I was completely dissatisfied, and didn't even think it looked anything like a giraffe.

Amazing what a week will do. I was surprised to see it and recognize it as a giraffe. A pretty severely deformed giraffe, but definitely a giraffe. And, more to the point, with some depth to the face, which I thought for sure I had botched entirely. I guess it was just a matter of being fatigued from 2 hours of frustration and just being too close and too focused on what was wrong to see the whole picture.

All that said, I haven't hated everything I've done with what I'm learning. I was pretty pleased with this kangaroo and especially with this elephant. These are two drawings that I could never have made 6 weeks ago.

[sorry about the dark images. These are on cheap newsprint and are too big to get on a scanner, so I had to take a photo]

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I think you need to change the name of your blog to "Dude Can Draw!"

Dude Can't Draw said...

Oh, that would never do. Don't you know I am fueled almost entirely by self deprecation?

Elizabeth said...

Yes, I'm aware of it. And I am fueled by sarcasm!

However, my sarcasm doesn't cover your ability to draw—the evolution of which I enjoy watching.

At any rate, I insist you at least consider changing the name to "Dude Loves Self-Deprecation."

Audra said...

G, this are really, really good. I love the line quality. You have really captured the animals. There's almost a movement to them. The giraffe's face is so, so expressive. I really dig this. Diggity dog!

- Aud